Ryan Todd

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Ten years ago today, I came home from school to find my very pregnant mom laying on the couch, insistent that she was going to make it to Jordan's wrestling match that night. Not long later, I was on the phone with my dad and on my way to my grandma's. Jordan, Cody, and Hanna and I waited there anxiously for the arrival of our new sister, Taylor.
At the hospital, waiting to see the new baby.

When we got a call just a few hours later that a little brother had been born (woops!), we were all pretty surprised...with the exception of Hanna, who was just plain devastated. If my memory serves me, I think Hanna cried more than the baby that night.

Meeting the little guy for the first time.
Ry meeting his future brother-in-law

It was a little weird having a little brother born when I was 15. We didn't exactly  have a lot in common, and by the time he was a toddler, most people in public just assumed I was a teen mom.


But it turns out, being 15 years older than your brother is pretty awesome. Obviously I love all my siblings, but I don't really remember what they were like as babies because I was so young. I really got to enjoy Ryan when he was little, though. I got to help feed him, I got to see his first steps, and help teach him his first words. Mostly I got to enjoy how cute he was!

Now he is getting all grown up! It's really fun to get to see his personality develop. He is certainly turning into a pretty fearless kid. From the time he was little, Ry was looking for thrills. I remember waiting in line with him over and over and over again to go on the "Pecker Woody" roller coaster at Universal Studios.
Ry and Wyatt with the "Pecker Woody"
And just recently, he bragged to me about his cliff jumping escapades this summer.
He's also pretty funny. I know little brothers are the ones who are supposed to sneak off and read their big sister's diaries, but I managed to get a peak of Ryan's personal journal at age 7. Page one read:

"Ryan's svivr book
Day 1: I mest up sum stuf in my sistrs room"
And then, his masterpiece: a text to Hanna written on his gameboy. It read,
"Hanu you a ideeit."

My favorite memory might be when I convinced him he could change his name and he decided on "Dynaco Mater".

And now he is ten! I can't believe it. I will always think of him like this:

But before we know it, he'll be driving cute girls around...
And shaving...
And then off to college...

And then settled down in a cozy office job
Happy Birthday, kiddo!
Conquer the world!

 

3 comments:

  1. We had a lot of fun at Ryans 10th Birthday party. Grandpa and I attended along with Bob, Kelly Scott Stevie Kim Gary and Hanna. I guess his friend party the night before was wild! Grandpa and I wrapped up a girly gift to fool him and he was really funny when he opened it and tried to be polite! He did find his real gift in the bottom of the bag and was so excited! He was so cute! Made a real haul too!Keep up the good work! We really enjoy your website. LV U

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing big sister! Will you be teaching him to drive? :) Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is precious!! Kinda made me tear up... Love the picture of you meeting him for the first time. You look totally 15, but also so comfortable with a baby. That really is so neat that you have such a bond with your brother who is so much younger. I also love that they thought he was a she. I am sure he hasn't heard the end of that! Also, he is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete

 

© Sand, sunshine, and sushi All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger