Home again!

Saturday, June 9, 2012

I know this is a few weeks late, but: PAUL IS HOME!!! He has been home for a month now, and it has been wonderful. Totally worth the extra laundry ;-)


Two weeks after his return, we finally took the trip to Jamaica that we planned three years ago (good ol' Uncle Sam forced us to cancel that last one). It was worth the wait! I am definitely a fan of the all inclusive resort, and even more a fan of the Caribbean.


My favorite activity was going scuba diving every morning. I discovered that I actually really, really enjoy scuba. After my San Diego experiences, I wasn't so sure (Have you ever been swimming in water that is 49 degrees??). The Caribbean water was warm enough to bathe in, the coral reefs were huge, and we saw some beautiful sea life. My favorites were the lionfish and the brain coral.


It was also nice to cool off. It was in the mid 80s all week, which was such a nice break from the triple-digit temps we've had here since April. We figure that we are the first people ever to show up to Sandals and turn the temperature in our room up. We keep our house at 80 during the day here, so the 70 that they had the hotel room at felt freezing.



In other news, the school year is finally done for me, so I have been enjoying sleeping in, taking care of things around the house, and cooking meals that take longer than 15 minutes to prepare. After 5 months of eating cereal, baked potatoes, and sushi takeout, it has been nice to have time and a reason to make good meals. Most recently I harvested my little desert "garden", and just in time, too, because it is getting HOT and my plants won't survive much longer. There was too much basil to use fresh, so I tried making homemade pesto. It was fast, easy, and delicious. I tried roasting the tomatoes, too, and Paul seemed to like those a lot; there is no picture of the final product for a reason (ie: a hungry husband)

 
2 c basil, 1/2 c parmesan, 1/2 c olive oil, 1/3 c walnuts, 5 cloves garlic.




We also celebrated our 3 year anniversary last week. The Jamaica trip was the real celebration, but on the big day itself, we had pie and flowers.



All in all, life is starting to settle back into its old pattern, which is the best part of all. The house once again smells like motorcycle exhaust, the fridge is full of food, and I'm growing re-accustomed to fighting over the covers in my sleep (in Arizona, you throw them on to each other instead of taking them off each other). I'm even starting to use Air Force acronyms in my daily speech again, for better or worse. No complaints here.









3 comments:

  1. YAYY!!!!!!!! great update! better late than never! I am so glad you were able to go to Jamaica! miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the greatest blog post I have read in a long time!! Soooo many happy things in one place! Hubby is home, school is out, vacations to Jamaica, flowers and pie... even the smell of motorcycle and extra laundry! I am soooo happy your life is back to "normal!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I know I am waaay late, but I just discovered your blog and read this post Courtney - So fun! But it made me miss you guys lots and wish we were down the street again :(
    So glad you and Paul are getting a much deserved summer together!! We are on the downhill slope of Eric's deployment and very much looking forward to a fall/winter together :)

    ReplyDelete

 

© Sand, sunshine, and sushi All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger